Quick Sweet Potato, chickpea Chili
Updated: Dec 19, 2022
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion diced
2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes 2
mall sweet potatoes
1 red bell pepper seeds removed and
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small flavor pepper minced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons Red chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
See Instructional Video
1. In a large heavy bottom pot, heat water over medium high heat.
2. Add onion, sweet potato, and red pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is
softened. Add the garlic and sweet and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and
cayenne pepper. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
4. Cook for 40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and chili has thickened.
5. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with avocado, cilantro,
green onions, chips, and any other desired toppings. Serve warm.
Note-this chili will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It also freezes
well. Cool completely and store in a freezer container. The chili can be frozen for up to 2
months. This chili recipe can easily be doubled.
If you love this recipe then you'll love our vegan cook book. Over 60 quick nutritious meals that will help you lower your blood pressure and cholesterol!
Don't for get to join our upcoming class. Foods that combats dementia and strengthen the brain.